The funny and joyful picture book from the number one bestselling author and illustrator of The Gruffalo, Stick Man and Zog.
‘Morning had dawned on the African plain.
The lion lay grooming his glorious mane.
The kudu looked cool and the rhino looked fine.
The bright pink flamingos looked simply divine.
The zebra looked graceful; the leopard look great.
Oh what a picture of beauty – but wait!’
Who’s that singing on the savannah?
The wildebeest, warthog, vulture, hyena and marabou stork swagger proudly across the savannah, rejoicing in their ugliness – and delighting their babies, who think they’re perfect just the way they are.
Inspired by the real-life Ugly Five safari animals, this gorgeous picture book is a celebration of animals who are often rather unloved.
- Shiny foil highlights on the cover makes this a special gift for toddlers
- A funny and comical picture book from the UK’s number one picture book author and illustrator
- Perfect read-aloud rhyming text and stunning pictures on every page with lots of details to spot
- Full of fabulous animals!
- Celebrates being yourself, family and friendship
- From the creators of The Gruffalo, Stick Man and Zog, which have all been made into animated films
- The Smeds and the Smoos is on BBC One at Christmas with voice artists including Bill Bailey (comedian and Strictly winner), Adjoa Andoh (Bridgerton), Sally Hawkins (Paddington movies) and Rob Brydon (Gavin and Stacey).
- Look out for The Baddies the wickedly funny new picture book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler.
Praise for The Ugly Five:
‘Donaldson’s exuberant verse and Scheffler’s strong, inimitable style are splendidly suited to these underrated, cheerful grotesques, and evoke the love between parents and children of every species’ Guardian
‘Another fabulous story for two- to eighty-year olds . What bliss from the creators of The Gruffalo’ The Oldie
‘Funny, catchy and gleeful . it’s irresistible rhymes trip off the tongue . Axel’s pictures are witty and full of character’ BBC Wildlife Magazine