Part-time bookseller, November 2023
We’re looking for a part-time bookseller who will ultimately be able to handle all day-to-day aspects of running the shop, beginning in November 2023. This is a great opportunity for someone with a demonstrable interest in books and reading widely to work within a small team of dedicated booksellers across different areas of the business.
Both publishing and bookselling industries in the UK are currently failing to meet diversity standards, and as such we are especially keen to hear from applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
November/December 2023: 16 hours p/week (including Saturdays)
January 2024 onwards: 8-16 hours p/week (1-2 days to be confirmed with successful applicant)
Applications close at 6pm on Monday 13th November.
The role will also require occasional evening work for events held at the shop and externally.
Day-to-day duties will include (but are not limited to):
– All customer interactions, most importantly confident book recommendations and sharing detailed expertise for precise requests
– Booking in deliveries and processing returns
– Processing online orders and fulfilling online customer requests
– Merchandising and window displays
– Mail order and subscription box packaging
– Demonstrable passion for books and reading widely
– The ability to convey enthusiasm for books and reading to our customers, including children’s books
– Previous bookselling experience is not essential but would be an advantage
– Excellent customer service skills
– Knowledge of the publishing industry
– Competence with IT & social media
Storysmith opened in 2018. We were shortlisted for UK Independent Bookshop of the Year in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022, and named South West Bookshop of the Year in 2023 at the British Book Awards. As a destination bookshop we serve customers of all ages and backgrounds from across the city of Bristol and beyond. We run a full programme of literary events and work with schools and other partner organisations to enhance the literary life of the South West. We take a carefully curated approach to shop stock, but pride ourselves on our ability to serve customers beyond this, no matter their literary request.
Please send a covering letter and a CV to email@example.com. Please note that the covering letter is the more important of these two documents, and you should tell us a lot about the kind of books you like to read.