Part-time bookseller (October 2020)
We’re looking for a permanent part-time bookseller who will be able to handle all day-to-day aspects of running the shop. Initially this role will be for two days a week (Sundays and one weekday to be finalised with the successful candidate).
This is a great opportunity for someone with a demonstrable interest in books and reading widely, with the potential to take ownership of developing areas of the business (including events programming, book subscriptions & social media). We’re looking forward to welcoming a candidate who can have a lasting and positive impact on a growing new business. Both publishing and bookselling industries in the UK are currently failing to meet diversity standards, and as such we are especially keen to hear from applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
We pay £10p/h.
Day-to-day duties may include (but are not limited to):
– All customer interactions, most importantly confident book recommendations and sharing detailed expertise for precise requests
– Opening and closing the shop
– Booking in deliveries and processing returns
– Processing online orders and fulfilling online customer requests
– Dealing with suppliers and publishers
– Assisting with curation of stock titles
– Assisting with events (internal and external, with schools and other partner organisations)
– Social media posting
– Merchandising and window displays
– Mail order and subscription box packaging
– Reporting and analytics for in-store and online sales
– Demonstrable passion for books and reading widely
– The ability to convey enthusiasm for books and reading to our customers, including children’s books
– Previous bookselling experience is not essential but would be an advantage
– Excellent customer service skills
– Knowledge of the publishing industry
– Competence with IT & social media
Storysmith opened in 2018, and was shortlisted for UK Independent Bookshop of the Year in 2020. As a destination bookshop we serve customers of all ages and backgrounds from across the city of Bristol and beyond. In ordinary times, we run a full programme of literary events and work with schools and other partner organisations to enhance the literary life of the South West. We take a carefully curated approach to shop stock, but pride ourselves on our ability to serve customers beyond this, no matter their literary request.
Please send a covering letter and a CV to email@example.com. Please note that the covering letter is the more important of these two documents. Your covering letter should outline your passion for reading and your suitability for working at Storysmith in particular.
Reading this interview might be useful when applying.
Closing date for applications is October 25th 2020, with the successful candidate ideally starting in November.